Wednesday, May 30, 2007

I've Almost Quit Caring

The Cubs lost their last two games to the Dodgers, 5-3 and 9-4. But you expected that to happen, and if you didn't, you need to wake up to reality. I keep thinking it's too early on to start declaring that the team is doomed, but then I realize that we just played our 50th game. That's almost a third of the way through the season people, and we're 5.5 behind the Brewers. Start worrying.

I don't feel like talking about the games, go read the summaries on ESPN if you really want to know what happened. But there are some other things that have caught my attention recently.

The first round of All-Star voting is in, and The $136 million man is in third place for outfield voting, proving that yes, it's just a glorified popularity contest. If you think Soriano is having a better year than Griffey, or Dunn, or even Geoff Jenkins, you are sadly mistaken. All Soriano has going for him right now is a .295 AVG. Then you add to that how Mets players have four of the positions locked up and there's some serious issues there. If you try to tell me with a straight face that David Wright is having a better year than Aramis Ramirez I will punch you right in the mouth. No joke.

Ever heard of Chuck Wasserstrom? What about Peter Chase? Me neither. Those two are the illustrious characters that the Cubs have chosen to be the faces of the organization for the First- Year Player Draft. Sending your Manager of Baseball Information doesn't seem like the best strategy, since that baseball information could be put to a better use teaching our bullpen how to throw strikes.

And in other breaking news, the Cubs need to work on their fundamentals. Wonder when they figured that out.

Tonight's game against the Marlins is at 7:05. Ted Lilly tries to continue his non-losing streak, which is apparently all our pitchers strive for now, against the suprisingly good Sergio Mitre. It seems like they always get better once they leave, doesn't it.

1 comment:

The Tao said...

Having gone to school in Chicago and followed the Cubs on WGN when I was younger, I think I can honestly say that true Cubs fans have it worse than any in baseball. I'm constantly in pain hearing about the Cubs, and I don't even care that much. The last few years have been difficult for the Royals, but at least our team isn't constantly breaking our hearts.

But this season's far from over... Milwaukee's coming down -- fast -- and I think the Cubs will win at least 87. Question is, and always has been... when's Hendry getting fired?