Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Just call me Skilling

Tom Skilling, that is. You know, the friendly, bald, brother of a corrupt Enron executive, meteoroligist for WGN? Me and Tom, we're alot alike. We both wear glasses (sometimes), we both talk about the weather alot (There's a 20° wind chill out right now. In April. Ridiculous), and we both make predictions based on trends that can be completely off at any time. The difference is, he gets paid good money for his predictions and never has to apologize. Me, well so far this a "just for fun" endeavor. And I'm willing to admit when I was wrong. So here goes.

Ted Lilly, I'm sorry for doubting you. I'm sorry I called you underachieving and overpaid, so far it looks like you're not an underachiever. One good game does not make you worth $10 million a year though, no matter how phenomenal it was. Keep it up and maybe I'll retract the overpaid tag too.

To the other new players I've been harassing, Cliff Floyd and Mark DeRosa, I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe Jim Hendry does know a thing or two about baseball after all. In fact the only one of the new guys who sucked tonight was Soriano. Ouch.


Game Summary for April 4th, 2007
  • Score: Cubs defeat the Reds 4-1
  • Player of the Game: Ted Lilly. Amazing pitching, took a no hitter into the 5th inning, got 9 K's, started off the year with a 1.29 ERA, and even got himself an RBI.
  • Subject of Lou's wrath: Ryan Dempster. I didn't actually get to watch the game, but apparently he was all over the place and Lou was not happy. For a full transcript of that conversation, check out the post by RFS below this.
  • Comments: Again, my apologies to Lilly and DeRosa, both performed better than expected. Ramirez is staying strong too which is a nice change from last year. Lee is performing well as always, and the others.....well they need some work. But just remember, this was only the second game of the season. We'll have a better idea of how everyone's doing a couple of weeks in. Also, no home runs yet for the Cubs. Mildly disappointing given the power we have in the lineup, but a win is a win.
  • Magic Number: 162

No comments: