Thursday, April 5, 2007

You want me to wake up before noon? What?

I like a day game as much as the next guy, but today's game starts at 11:35. In the AM. That's just crazy talk.

Todays game features two pitchers who had very interesting years last year. Cincinnati's Kyle Lohse had a 5.83 ERA in 2006, while our pitcher Jason Marquis posted a whopping 6.02 ERA last year. This could be a fun game to watch. I'm predicting many home runs for both teams. Hopefully just our team, but I'm a realist.

Just read the preview on the Cubs' website and I noticed this great piece of writing.

Marquis got to work quickly this offseason. He met with Cubs pitching coach Larry Rothschild in Florida before the right-hander even signed with the team to go over mechanics. Marquis' former teammate Greg Maddux had encouraged the two to get together.


"I knew I wasn't far off," Marquis said when he signed with the team. "Knowing the knowledge Larry had, they said he would be a good guy to see. It was nothing more than to get my mind right and get in a positive frame of mind."


The problem was mechanics, and Marquis said he wasn't far off. But the tweaks that Rothschild made helped him. If he can get his sinker in sync, Marquis will have success.


Wow. Just stellar writing, Ms. Muskat. Maybe if I repeat myself a couple of times in every article I write someday I'll get to write for the Cubs too.

No comments: