Monday, April 9, 2007

Home Opener: We Suck Again!

So I'm at Wrigley Field today for the Home Opener. Everyone's excited and the festivities are in full swing. Lou presents Lovie Smith with a nice little plaque of appreciation for fielding a Chicago sports team that doesn't suck, Devin Hester throws out the first pitch, Navy personnel parachute on the field and one lands in another one's parachute, little children lead the crowd in the Pledge of Allegiance, and the ever classy Wayne Messmer sings the National Anthem. Life is good. Then the game started and it all went down the toilet.

Some highlights of the Opening Day experience:
  • It was Wrigley Field on Opening Day. That's a highlight in and of itself.
  • The parachuters (parachutists?) were cool, though none of them came close to hitting the pink X that was on the field. And one of them went flying into another one's parachute as he landed. Awesome.
  • The Bears personnel. Lovie and Hester were watching the game in Skybox #7 (at least I think it's called a skybox). How do I know this? Because I was sitting about 30 feet away from said skybox:
  • The Bears people walking by constantly meant that every time Lovie or Devin left the box, everyone in the Terrace Reserved section quit paying any attention to the game and just started screaming. I'm pretty sure I got Lovie to turn his head towards me once. Didn't get a picture of that, but I did get a nice hand wave shot from Devin:
  • It was cold as [insert cold object with expletive here]. And there were flurries for a bit. And it's April. Something is wrong with this picture.
  • Saw Ronnie Woo-Woo at the McDonalds after the game. He gave me a pat on the shoulder as he walked by. I touched a celebrity. This shirt is never getting washed.
  • Did I mention it was cold?
Overall it was an interesting game, and if it wasn't for the team falling apart it would have been a great day. However in the end this is a baseball game I was at, so we can't just avoid the subject entirely, no matter how much I want to. That being said, here is the required game summary.

Game Summary for April 9th, 2007
  • Score: Cubs lose to the Astros, 5-3
  • Player of the Game: Alfonso Soriano. Tied the game with some very good baserunning and tallied another hit. I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but Soriano is on a 7 game hit streak. He has exactly one hit every game so far this season. The man is on pace to break DiMaggio's record with a .219 average. It would really be nice to see a multi-hit game from him though. Please?
  • Subject of Lou's Wrath: Bob Howry. Blew the game tonight, didn't even give Dempster a chance to do it himself. Maybe if he spent more time practicing and less time philandering with women of questionable character this wouldn't have happened.
  • Comments: Today was a roller coaster of emotions. Most of the game was flat-out depressing, as although Lilly was fairly solid, the Cubs couldn't put together any offense that amounted to anything. When we got those two runs in the sixth inning though, that reminded me why I love this sport so much. And when Soriano scored in the seventh I was confident that we had this. But then Everett got a hold of one of Howry's pitches, and well that was that. Heart of the order came up in the 8th inning and couldn't get anything going. Extremely disappointing game.
  • Magic Number: 157. Reds did play today. They lost to the Diamondbacks. I am an idiot.
Tomorrow's game has my hopes up. Marquis gets a chance to prove that his first game wasn't a fluke, and maybe Lou will actually leave him in long enough to seal the deal and earn that win. Or maybe the bullpen won't implode again. Either case would be good.

1 comment:

Jake the Terrible Cubs Fan said...

Gotta love Ronnie Woo Woo. I was at a ballgame with two of my buddies about 4 years ago and it ended up being a rainout. We were one of the few people still stupidly standing in the bleachers drinking beer. It was cold, wet, and just plain crap out. Just then we see Ronnie Woo Woo still walking around the bleachers, by himself. As he passes us my buddy says to him, "Not a good day Ronnie." To which he immediately replied, "You're at the ballpark, it's always a good day."

Amen brother, amen.